Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Cooking for Baby: Apple Cinnamon Cream of Millet.


Nothing brings my boys to the kitchen like the sound of our food processor whirring away! Since the day my youngest son was fed his first taste of solids a couple of months ago, my older two son's interest in everything he eats has not waned. They beg to try anything their baby brother is eating and I, being fully aware of the amount of nutrients I try to cram into each of those baby meals, am more than happy to oblige. 

This Apple Spice Cream of Millet is the first breakfast cereal I feed to my babies. It is similar in consistency to Cream of Wheat and Gerber's Prepared Baby Cereals but since the millet is freshly ground, all the iron, protein and other vital nutrients it contains are maintained without the use of preservatives. 

I have found that by adding fresh fruits and vegetables like grated apples or carrots and chopped spinach or kale to their breakfast cereals, I'm able to sneak some extra flavor and nutrients into my babies tummies first thing in the morning.

Growing up, my mom made Cream of Wheat for breakfast frequently. My favorite part was meticulously arranging the raisins and brown sugar on top to create a happy face. With so many different nuts, seeds, and dried fruits so widely available these days, my boys and I have a lot of fun each morning coming up with different, healthier variations on my traditional raisin and brown sugar happy face. 

{Apple Spice Cream of Millet}

3 T. whole millet 
3/4 c. coconut milk, unsweetened 
1/2 apple, grated
fresh baby spinach leaves, finely chopped
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. all spice
a pinch of salt

Grind whole millet in a food processor using a milling blade until it is the consistency of flour. Bring almond milk and spinach leaves to a light boil over low heat. Add millet, 1 T. at a time while whisking continuously to avoid clumps. Add apple. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let stand 1 -2 minutes until thickened. Add spices. Pour into bowls. If desired, sweeten with maple syrup or honey and top with fresh berries, chopped nuts and/or dried fruit. 

makes 2 -3 servings.

{notes:}
*for babies 12 months & older, prepare as is;
*for babies 12 months & under, prepare as is & omit toppings;
*for babies 9 months & under, substitute coconut milk with water & omit apple & spinach;
*any dairy or plant based milk can be substituted for the coconut milk;

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dear,

    I see you have a very nice blog. Very nice post ! It keeps my eye. I wish you all the best and keep working! Wish you success ! Anyway,I want to invite you on my blog www.madamedaria.blogspot.com, maybe you would like to follow each other ? If yes, just follow me and let me know quickly, i ll do the same asap. Best wishes / Daria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear Laura!! I didn't realize you had this blog too (I'm guessing to associate with your Etsy store). This post was adorable by the way - love the adorable faces idea!! ;) Missing you dear Friend and hope you'll come back to blogging soon!! I'm behind on my responses...but I see you commented on one of my posts recently and that's how I realized you had this blog. I'm doing a post today where I'm going to show off the beautiful blanket you made for my gift...and I want to acknowledge your blog(s) and Etsy store. I guess I will mention them all.

    Missing you and hoping all is well!! Blessings dear Friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicous, and like a perfect comfort food. I am so glad to see a post from you! Hope you are all doing well. Happy Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete